Monday, June 7, 2010

And I think we already deja'ed this vu. - Willow

328 Days to go: 312 Things to Do: Day 29 in Chicago

54. Downtown Sound: New Music Mondays concert in Millennium Park

I think Elf is one of the most hysterical movies I have ever seen, and I'm not even that much of a Will Ferrell fan.  But this one is fun-NY.  

Gimbel's Manager: Why are you smiling like that?
Buddy the elf:  I just like to smile, smiling's my favorite.

Buddy the elf:  He's an angry elf.

Buddy the elf:  Wow, you're fast.  I'm glad I caught up to you.  I waited five hours for you. Why is your coat so big? So, good news - I saw a dog today!  Have you seen a dog?  You probably have.  How was school?  Was it fun?  Did you get a lot of homework?  Huh?  Do you have any friends?  Do you have a best friend?  Does he have a big coat too?

It's kind of like the conversations I have with Cairo on the way to the train.  I'm Buddy in this scenario.  

Anyway Buddy's love interest in the movie is played by Zooey Deschanel, who also stars in another most excellent movie (500) Days of Summer, and in both movies she sings.  And has an amazing voice.  She's also got the cotton commercial with the cotton theme song - one of their best.  Because she has an amazing voice.

Enter our adventure for the day:  She & Him, Zooey's indie folk band, played a FREE concert in Millennium Park's Pritzker Pavillion.  So we're back.  Thursdays it's Music Without Borders, but Mondays it's Downtown Sound: New Music Monday and this Monday it's She & Him. 


It's packed.  I've never actually seen this many people at one of the free concerts.  We had made plans to go to the show Thursday while listening to The Very Best, and I had suggested trying to figure out a way to get here early and get good seats.  But we failed at that, didn't leave work until 5:30, and by the time we got to the park it was a mad house.  We work our way around and grab a spot of grass on the fringe, we can't see the stage but can hear just fine.  And I remembered to grab a blanket when I left the house this morning.  Go me. 


327 Days to go: 311 Things to Do: 29 Days in Chicago = 30 new experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment