Saturday, June 19, 2010

That's the kind of wooly headed liberal thinking that leads to being eaten. - Principal Synder

316 Days to Go: 303 Things to Do: Day 38 in Chicago

63. Yoga in the Park
64. Crust
65. Fundraiser - Gumbo for the Gulf
66. Puerto Rican Festival


I feel very relaxed.

Now, if it hasn't become obvious this far let me be clear - I Am Not A Morning Person.  I like to sleep in.  My bed is very comfortable.  I often lay in bed for hours after waking up, just because I can.



Which is why it is oh-so-impressive that during the summer on Saturday mornings I get up at 7am (7am!!) in order to get downtown and do yoga in Millennium Park.  8am yoga followed by pilates at 9.   Really, the fact that I made it the first time a few years ago is the most shocking, because once I went I was hooked.  First, the yoga is amazing.  Second, the view is incredible.  And third, after I always stop at Jamba Juice which is a nice little treat.  So by 10am, I'm feeling good.

I'm feeling very relaxed. 

I used to have a friend who would meet me at yoga every Saturday, but last summer she moved to the suburbs so now I'm on my own.  Cairo and Emily met up at the Small Bar this morning (more soccer) so after a quick trip home for a shower, I head over to meet them.

Only they're not at Small Bar anymore.  It's between games, so they've gone across the street to Crust 2056 W Division.  Crust is an organic upscale pizza place with a full bar and cocktail list.  I wasn't hungry, so just got a drink - a blackberry mint julep, one of their yummy specials.  I was a big fan of this place.  It's open and light inside with a HUGE back patio that is somehow relaxing and luxurious despite being crammed in the middle of the neighborhood.
       


 



After a quick drink, we head back to the Small Bar to catch the next game.  I, however, am just waiting for Mary to arrive as we are heading to a friends house for a Gumbo for the Gulf fundraiser.  One of the organizations I work with is holding these house parties all across the country raising money to make sure a disaster like the BP Oil spill in the Gulf never happens again.  A celebrity chef donated her gumbo recipe for the cause - but that's not what we're eating.  Because the friend who is holding the fundraiser, Becky, is married to another friend, and a trained french chef.  I never turn down the opportunity to eat food Andre has cooked.  A few minutes after she arrives we head over to Humboldt Park for the festivities.


Turns out - even more festivities than we thought as Humboldt Park (the actual park, not the neighborhood this time) is hosting the Puerto Rican Festival this weekend.  After some delicious gumbo, Mary and I meet up with Allison and Emily at the Festival.

I'm immediately loving it.  The colors, the music, the rides!  There are several booths selling these pineapple drinks - i have no idea what was in it but had to have one.  How fun is that?



We check out the rides and sit in the grass for a while listening to music (while I drink my frozen pineapple concoction) but eventually head home - it's very loud with competing music and we can't hear each other talk.



 

315 Days to Go: 299 Things to Do: 38 days in Chicago = 38 new experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment