Friday, June 11, 2010

Here. I don't do work. - Cordelia

324 Days to go: 309 Things to Do: Day 33 in Chicago

57. Brunch at Milk and Honey
58. Haircuts at Strange Beauty Show

Vacation!  We took a vacation day, Allison, Emily and I.  Well, a stay-cation day.  It's the beginning of the World Cup - which Emily is VERY excited about.  It's summer.  And I'm leaving town tomorrow to head to Minnesota.  So, why not take the day off, watch soccer, and drink all day in the sunshine?  I couldn't think of one good reason, so that's exactly what we did.


Kick off is at 8:30 - so we meet at Milk and Honey 1920 W Division  for breakfast before the game.  Milk and Honey is a cute little cafe with soothing colors inside and a nice patio outside for a light and quick breakfast.  I had the yogurt and granola with fresh fruit.  Cairo brought the New York Times and we all had a lovely breakfast.



Immediately after breakfast, we cross the street to the Small Bar - the hottest spot in Chicago to watch the World Cup.  No really.  Somehow, the entire city knows that this is where the real soccer fans go.  ESPN even comes to interview fans.  

They've set up a couple TVs outside so folks sitting on the patio can also watch the games, but with the sun's glare it's not long before we move inside.  Emily gets interviewed twice.  Due in no small part, I'm sure, to the fact that there are only a handful of women in the entire bar and we have some of the best seats in the house.



I'm not going to lie.  At some point during the afternoon, I get so tired I'm a little concerned I'm going to have to go home and nap.  On vacation!  Luckily, I order a coke and the little jolt of caffeine is just what I need.  At some point during the games, LuCinda joins us - she's in the middle of packing in order to move into a new apartment, but takes a break to play a bit. 

I feel like what I'm about to confess next is an indication that despite all evidence to the contrary I am, in fact, an adult.  Oy.  At this point we decide to use our VACATION day to go get haircuts.  Which, to be fair, I desperately needed to do - but still.  Using up valuable vacation hours on practical purposes - I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Luckily, we went to Cairo's hair salon, Strange Beauty Show 1118 N Ashland.  Turns out - it's kinda like a party!  First, the tables have fun cheesy magazine picture collages and glitter.  We all know how I like glitter.  Second, they serve you cans of PBR while you are waiting and during your cut.  AND they have nintendo.  The old school kind.  I played Super Mario Brothers for the first time in I-don't-even-know-how-long.  Shocking how much of it comes back to you.

And my hair looked pretty good.  Although I think I'll stick to my regular salon.  They don't have nintendo but they make my hair look AMAZING.  ;)





323 Days to go: 307 Things to Do: 33 Days in Chicago = 32 new experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment