Thursday, May 6, 2010

You're being a little overly, aren't you? - Xander

360 Days to go: 355 Things to Do: In College Park, MD

Some days I feel like all I do is spend the day trying to get where ever it is I need to be.

Today, for example, I drove a rental car. Then hopped in a cab to the airport. Where I took a plane. To another plane. Then rode a bus for an hour. In order to take the subway for one stop. And then took a shuttle bus. For a two hour meeting. After which, I got back on the shuttle bus to the subway. Transferred twice. Took another bus. And then a shuttle van.

Awesome.

I've been spending a lot of time at the University of Maryland over the last month (when I'm not in St Louis). There are lots of turtles.

The mascot is the Terrapin. The Terrapin is a species of turtle native to the brackish coastal swamps of the eastern and southern U.S. (thanks wikipedia) I like turtles. I have a turtle toe ring. It's also the state reptile for the state of Maryland. There's a campus legend/tradition that rubbing the nose of the Terrapin will bring you good luck during finals week.


The fact that states HAVE state reptiles I find fascinating and immediately began to look up every state I've ever lived:

Minnesota = Blanding's Turtle
California = Desert Tortoise
Colorado = Western Painted Turtle
Illinois = Painted Turtle (apparently VERY different than the 'Western' variety)
Missouri = Three Toed Box Turtle (I've never lived, but WAS just there so...)
Massachusetts = Garter Snake
Ohio = Black Racer

I couldn't find Wisconsin or Pennsylvania. And apparently, I am not the only one that likes turtles.

Other fun facts about UMD - scenes from both St. Elmo's Fire and National Treasure: Book of Secrets were filmed on campus. Also, Jim Henson is an alum. Hence this little tribute to Jim and Kermit in front of the student union.


Seriously though, it is a very beautiful campus. Very colonial. Lots of red brick and white columns. And turtles!

Tomorrow, I head home to Chicago. Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!





359 Days to go: 355 Things to Do: In College Park, MD (3 Days in Chicago = 8 new experiences)

No comments:

Post a Comment